How To Apply
Graduate students and faculty at the 2011 Protein Society Meeting.
All students interested in participating in the IGPPEB must submit their applications to Yale University's Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Applications must be completed online. Students who wish to be considered for the IGPPEB must apply to one of the admitting departments (or 'tracks'): Department of Physics; Applied Physics (AP), Biomedical Engineering (BME), Chemical and Environmental Engineering (CEE), and Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science (MEMS) within the School of Engineering & Applied Science (SEAS); or the Biophysics, Biochemistry and Structural Biology (BBSB), Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (CBB), Molecular Cell Biology, Genetics and Development (MCGD), and Neuroscience tracks within the Biological and Biomedical Sciences (BBS) Program. BBS is an umbrella program that consists of eight research tracks encompassing all of the biological science departments.
Below is a step-by-step guide to applying to the IGPPEB via different departments or tracks:
1. After you have initiated an online application and have selected the "Program of Study" section of the application, select one of the following under "Step 1: Program of Study": Biological and Biomedical Sciences (BBS), or Engineering and Applied Science, or Applied Physics, or Physics as your program of study. IGPPEB students will be selected from all of these disciplines; thus, choose the one that best fits your interests and background.
2a. BBS applicants should choose either Biophysics, Biochemistry, and Structural Biology; Computational Biology and Bioinformatics; Molecular Cell Biology, Genetics, and Development; or Neuroscience as their primary concentration under "Step 3: Additional Program Information / Select a Track", and Physical and Engineering Biology (IGPPEB) as their secondary concentration under "Step 3: Additional Program Information / Select a Special Program".
2b. Engineering and Applied Science applicants should choose either Biomedical Engineering, Chemical and Environmental Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science as their primary concentration under "Step 3: Additional Program Information / Select a Concentration" and Physical and Engineering Biology (IGPPEB) as their secondary concentration under "Step 3: Additional Program Information / Available Concentrations".
2c. Applied Physics applicants should choose Physical and Engineering Biology as their primary concentration under "Step 3: Additional Program Information / Select a Concentration".
2d. Physics applicants should select a concentration under the first pulldown within "Step 3: Additional Program Information" and then should choose Physical and Engineering Biology as their secondary concentration in the second pulldown in Step 3.
IGPPEB applicants are only eligible to apply for the Ph.D degree, no terminal masters degree is offered. Note that the BBS program has an early application deadline of December 2, 2011. All other applications are due January 2, 2012.
Questions from potential applicants about profiles from recent matriculants (such as ranges of GRE scores and GPAs) and questions about the application process should be directed to the registrars of the individual departments.
If you have specific quesitons about PEB, please contact us at peb(at)yale.edu
- School of Engineering & Applied Sciences AND Applied Physics: Cara Gibilisco, , Phone: 203-432-4252
- CBB: Lisa Sobel, , Phone: 203-737-6029
- BBSB: Nessie Stewart, , Phone: 203-432-5662
- MCGD Track: Shirlene Scott, , Phone: 203-785-2404
- MCDB: Marrisa DeLise, , Phone: 203-432-3538
- Physics: Sandra Tranquilli, , Phone: 203-432-3607
- Neuroscience: Lynne Baumgarten, , Phone: 203-785-5249